The department of English at PUC is home to students with a love for language, literature, and philosophy. Students gain experience and training in detailed analyses, writing, and expression through a wide variety of literature, linguistics, and writing courses to prepare them for graduate research, writing, teaching, and countless other possibilities.
- B.A. in English, British and American Literature Emphasis
- B.A. in English, English Education Emphasis
- B.A. in English, Writing Emphasis
In 2018, students voted and selected Dr. Peter Katz for the prestigious annual Educator of the Year award. A 2010 alumnus of the college with degrees in English literature, European history, and music, Katz has taught at PUC since 2015 and currently serves as an assistant professor of English.
- For students who qualify, the department of English at PUC offers membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honors society. PUC’s chapter promotes literacy and hosts literary activities throughout the year. Students also attend and present their work at the annual Sigma Tau Delta international conference each year.
- Each year, students from the department of English collaborate with students in the department of visual arts to produce Quicksilver, PUC’s annual art and literary publication. Majors in each department are editors.
- The department offers a variety of interesting classes, including Acting I: Fundamentals, Themes in Literature: Travel Narratives, Shakespeare in Performance, Development of the Novel, Creative Writing: Short Story, Literature for Adolescents, Approaches to Poetry, and many more.
- English majors have the option of completing an internship or a capstone project their senior year. Read “My Summer Working in PUC’s Nelson Memorial Library Archives” to hear about one student’s experience interning cleaning, digitizing, and curating an exhibit of early 20th century PUC magic lantern slides for PUC’s special collection.
- According to Payscale.com, the average salary for English majors is $56,000, which is right on trend with the average salary for all occupations in the U.S.
What You Can Do With This Major
Let your love for the written word lead you to become an English major, where you have endless opportunities for your future career. Not sure what you can do with this major? Check out some careers PUC graduates have below.
- Grant writer
- Marketing coordinator
- Technical writer
- Technical/production assistant
Learn more about the department of English at puc.edu/academics. Our team of admissions counselors can answer any questions you have about PUC’s English programs, or the other majors the college offers. Call (800) 862-7080, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with a counselor now and start learning about all the options available to you!