News and Blog

Pioneers Profile: Lydia Earles

Student Profile

Pioneers Profile: Lydia Earles

Lydia is a sophomore opposite hitter in her first season with the PUC Pioneers women’s volleyball team. Born and raised in Kailua, Hawaii, Lydia attended Hawaiian Mission Academy where she graduated top of her class. She was the perfect combination of scholastics, leadership, and service to be awarded the 2016 Maxwell Scholar Award. “Receiving PUC’s Maxwell Scholarship has been a huge blessing for myself and my family,” she says.

Since her time at PUC, she has declared her major as health communication, was appointed president of the campus mission club Thaumatrope, became a student ambassador for the enrollment office, and befriended many PUC students. “I’ve really enjoyed my time here at PUC. I’ve made such wonderful friends that support me in everything I do. Managing academics, athletics, my social life, and all other things I’m involved in has been difficult but there is nothing I would change or do differently,” she enthuses.

Lydia’s academic achievements also have translated on the volleyball court. Lydia played four years of varsity volleyball at HMA earning division 1st team award as well as being the captain of her team, all the while playing volleyball for Kealahou Volleyball Club. Her volleyball influence comes from watching her older brother playing volleyball.

At the time of this writing, halfway through the PUC volleyball season, she has appeared in 23 games with 14 kills and has become a crowd favorite during home games. With Lydia’s influence within the PUC student body, there are many students who come out to support the Lady Pioneers. “Our fans are really important to us. It feels great to play knowing the sidelines are there to support and cheer us on. The energy from the crowd helps give us the energy we need on the court,” she says.

There are still several home games left in the Lady Pioneers’ season, so come on down to the Covered Wagon to cheer on Lydia and the rest of the Pioneers! The next home game is scheduled for Tuesday, October 24th, at 6 p.m. against William Jessup University. Visit pioneersathletics.com for a complete season schedule.