News and Blog

Meet Enrollment Counselor Nick Lapido

Staff Feature

Meet Enrollment Counselor Nick Lapido

We have a great team of enrollment counselors here at PUC, ready to help you and your family with any questions you have, at any point throughout the admissions process. For the next few weeks, every Monday we’ll be introducing each one to you, to help you get to know them a little better.

This week, meet the team’s newest member, Nick Lapido!

You already have a background in admissions. Where did you work previously?
I was at Southern Adventist University before coming to PUC. I was not a recruiter there, but I worked very closely with them as a prospective student finance advisor. That position had me working in the recruitment office, where I was involved in college days, giving campus tours, and meeting prospective students, among many other things. That background helped a lot when coming to the enrollment office here at PUC.

What brought you to PUC?
A lot of things kept falling into place and lining up. It became impossible to deny God wanted me here. I remember meeting Jennifer Tyner in Tennessee, where we got the opportunity to speak about PUC, and from that conversation God just started opening the doors to give me the privilege to be a part of this team.

You spent the last several months working as a student financial counselor here at PUC. How do you think that benefits you in your new position as an enrollment counselor?
It acquainted me with PUC, the great community that we have here, and really helped me to understand the inner workings of what it means to be a student here. I believe that insight and perspective will be of great use when it comes to being an enrollment counselor. I know I will be forever grateful for having had the opportunity to work side by side with the finance team and having been able to build lasting friendships with them.

So far, how are you liking living in Angwin and working at PUC?
I’ve really fallen in love with PUC and Angwin. I’ve been to about 40 of the 50 states, lived on both coasts, and I can tell you that there truly is no place like it! As soon as you start heading up the hill, you are completely immersed in what looks like a whole other world. The rich, dark green of the pine trees, the mountain air, and magnificent view are to die for! I remember the day my wife and I first got here, we pulled over to a lookout point on our way up the hill. Below us, you could see the forest scenery stretching out as far as the eye could see, and it was absolutely breathtaking! Being able to be a part of this community and live in this environment never gets old—it never ceases to amaze me. I definitely call Angwin “home” now, and wouldn’t trade it for the world!

What is your favorite part about living here?
Besides the sheer beauty of this area, I would have to say my favorite part about living here is that it has something for everyone. We are located just far enough away from big cities to where it feels like a mountain wonderland where one can escape to. On the other hand, San Francisco is just a quick drive away, and there seems to be more and more to explore every time!

What is your favorite spot on campus?
My favorite spot would definitely have to be the back 40. Almost every Sabbath, my wife and I hike the trails after church. Seeing the streaks of light go through the tall trees as you walk through the trail brings such beauty to Angwin. It feels like one is transported to a different place, and it’s crazy to think we get to enjoy all of it here!

What is your favorite place to eat in the valley?
This is a hard one! I don’t know if I can pick a “favorite,” there are so many options and places to explore that I’ve only made a very small dent on the list. I will mention, though, if you are looking for a great place to have breakfast in the valley close to PUC, look no further than Gillwoods Cafe! Also, if you have any suggestions as to where I should eat next, let me know, there are too many to count!

What is the last book you read?
I’m currently reading “Capital Gaines” by Chip Gaines. I am fascinated by books that give further insight into the lives and relationships of people, which is why autobiographies are my favorite types of books, I would much rather get to know people than deal with abstract facts on a page. Before that I was reading through “Total Recall” by Arnold Schwarzenegger and “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson.

What are you most looking forward to in 2018, both professionally and personally?
I am looking forward to settling in more in the area and becoming a more active part of the community in Angwin. The biggest goal for me, both professionally and personally, is to grow. I know that sounds like a cliché, but what I mean by that is to step out of my comfort zone more, to not limit myself, and to establish and nurture relationships with others. I may not know exactly how “growth” will be manifested, but I hope to see positive differences in my life, and hopefully help make positive impacts in the lives of others.

What advice would you give to an incoming freshman?
The biggest piece of advice I could give an incoming freshman (or anyone for that matter) is to strive to grow in our relationship with God and to allow Him to lead our lives. Throughout life, we are going to experience a lot of change: we will grow (in age, literally, and as people), we will move, experience different places, work in different environments, and build relationships with people. Sometimes it can seem that the only constant is that there is no constant, and things can be in flux. However, when we make God that constant, when we grow closer to Him, we will be able to handle whatever life throws at us, and hopefully come out on the other side as people who were changed and grown for the better.