News and Blog

Faces of PUC: Raijan Joseph C. Villacruel 

Raijan Joseph C. Villacruel
Student Profile

Being Filipino, nursing was always the major that was a possibility for Raijan Joseph C. Villacruel. After graduating high school, he wasn’t sure what he wanted to pursue in college. Ultimately- as he learned from growing up as a missionary kid, Raijan left his decision to God and told Him he would go with the major He would open the doors to. 

When his father’s job moved them from his hometown of Atimonan, Quezon Province, Philippines, to the United States, paths and doorways opened. He took many pre-nursing prerequisites at a community college, which solidified his decision. Raijan also took psychology classes and plans to get a degree in that field.

Now, in his junior year, Raijan has met wonderful people at PUC who have encouraged him to improve in many aspects. 

What made you decide to attend PUC?

The community college I attended before PUC was closely related to the college, and the application process went through so smoothly that it was almost surreal. I had certain requirements to meet before I could move forward with my application- but one month after deciding to attend PUC, the requirements were miraculously met. Ultimately, I decided it must have been God’s leading, and I decided to follow. There was no way I was going to refuse after everything just clicked into place. 

What do you like the most about PUC’s nursing program? 

What I like most about my program is the willingness of our professors and nursing faculty to meet us where we are, both in the classroom and getting us ready for the program, even in our daily lives. I feel seen and heard, even when I feel like I want to disappear and not be present. 

There have certainly been times when I needed some extra support and help, and talking with my professors about my issues has helped them work with me around my circumstances and allowed me to stay on top of my classes. 

What is your favorite thing about being a part of the Pioneers family? 

My favorite thing about being a part of the Pioneer family is the community we foster with each other. Coming to PUC, I have met wonderful people who have encouraged me to improve in so many aspects. I feel more connected to myself, God, and the people around me. There’s something special about being a part of the college on the “holy hill”. 

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

I would go to Canada. There’s something about the vastness of the country that draws me. I like exploring uninhabited nature like forests, mountains, or oceans. 

What is something you’re passionate about? 

I am passionate about helping people. Growing up as a missionary child, a lot of what I did, growing up, was helping and reaching people through ministry. So whether it’s providing healthcare, volunteering for certain ministries, lending an ear, or even just helping someone carry some boxes to their car, these big or little acts make me feel fulfilled and happy. 

Do you have a favorite restaurant in the Napa Valley?

I don’t have a favorite restaurant in the Napa Valley, but I like visiting various café’s with my friends in St. Helena for studying.  

How would you describe your perfect weekend at PUC? 

My perfect weekend at PUC would start with being able to attend Kyler’s Bible Study on Friday at 4 pm, have my laundry already done before attending, and put away so all I have to do after is freshen up and attend vespers at 8 pm. 

After vespers, I would get some snacks and touch base with my friends for a few minutes at “Afterlight” then head straight to “Glow” to finish the night by praising God through songs till we feel too tired to sing. 

Saturday morning, I would get up, get ready, and be at “The Morning Watch” in the fireside room at 10 am for bible study and morning snacks followed by the church service. 

After pastor Nate’s sermon, I would head to the cafeteria for lunch with friends, then go hiking within an hour. 

After hiking or whatever we decided to do, towards the end of our activity, we would close the Sabbath with a worship thought and singing. Then, we would make our way back to campus. 

I would probably clean up and call my parents, then turn in early so I could wake up early the next day. 

On Sunday morning, I would wake up around 4:30 to 5, have morning worship, and begin to tackle my seemingly endless number of assignments for the week. At 10 am, I would have brunch at the cafeteria and get ready for work at noon. After work, I would study for my upcoming exams and take a nap after. At 6 pm, after dinner, I would hit the gym, then clean up before getting to bed early to begin the week.